Monday, March 19, 2007

Steve Bartman or Shawn Gralla?

So last week I talked about the sun and how nice it had been and well for the last week it’s been raining and chilly. So I guess I can’t get my way oh well home will be coming soon less than 2 months!!! I am so ready and I know every other Soldier is just as ready as I am...

Well I have been getting a lot of emails and comments about the letter to the Governor and I’m glad everyone agrees with me. I think Shawn Gralla is like Steve Bartman who gained notoriety on the evening of October 14, 2003, for preventing a possible play on a foul pop-up in Game 6 of the National League Championship Series between the Chicago Cubs and the Florida Marlins at Wrigley Field. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Bartman

So I hope that soon Shawn will be a Wikipedia hero!! She/he already made Sarge Charlie’s -- Yellow Bellied Sapsucker of the Week Award http://sargecharlie.blogspot.com/2007/03/and-linda-gets-prize.html

Thanks for all of your support of us and the Oklahoma Governor. We cant always stand up for what people say or do to the Military but I know you guys can and you all did so thank you all very much!! So I think I’m gonna start doing an Afghan Hero of the week for people who send items or just help us Soldiers over here away from home…

So this weeks Hero of the week is one of my favorite Blogs and one of the biggest Military and Afghanistan Supporters I have met. She sends me letters almost daily and beautiful pictures from back home. So Cynthia and Karl of Bend, Oregon thanks for everything you do for the Soldiers and for the people of Afghanistan!! You guys are our heros!! http://gazingattheflag.blogspot.com/



Well I have been getting a lot of email about helping out with shoes and clothes and school supplies. Keep sending is all I have to say! Anything and everything you want is wonderful, we have the room and I will keep taking packages until the day I leave and from that point I will pass over everything to my counter part and they will hopefully and maybe forcefully ; ) keep all of the wonderful people out there up to date. So send send send!!

We had another ribbon cutting and possibly our last for the deployment. It was for the footbridge over Jalalabad Road. Its one of the busiest roads in Kabul and the cause of a lot of accidents and deaths. So hopefully it will save a lot of lives and keep kids from running across 4 lanes of traffic to get to school. It was nice to see possibly one of our last Ribbon Cuttings for 2 reasons, one because it means we’ll be home soon very soon and the other because its one more check on the list of things WE have done for the Afghans. By WE, I mean everyone back home and here. You all have helped out so much and I want to thank you all for everything you have done for us as Soldiers and for the people. They may not know who all this help comes from but they do know it’s from America. I think of it this way, if I can put one pair of gloves on a kid and one day when the Taliban come looking for help that boy will remember what we all did for him and hopefully turn the other way. It’s just a simple thought and may not happen and may not mean anything but that’s the way I look at it. One day Afghanistan will have to stand on its own feet and hopefully that day will come sooner than later but until than I think we all have and will continue to make a difference! Just to let you know about this stuff. A couple weeks ago I had our clothing Conex (shipping container) about half empty. Well about 4 days later it was almost full again, that just shows you how much wonderful support there is out there!


Well I guess I’m gonna sign off for now but thanks again everyone and I hope to see more and more boxes flood in soon. Also if you could check out Jake Hudson’s Blog on my favorite links list. He is one of my best friends back home and was also a Chaplains Assistant with the Oklahoma Army National Guard. Jake was with me in Egypt on our last deployment and I know deep down he would’ve loved to be over here with me right now. He may not admit it but I know he would like doing the work I do and also helping the Soldier in their time of need.

2 comments:

Sarge Charlie said...

Thanks for your kind words,

Ms Gazer is and excellent choice to be your first "AFGAN HERO OF THE WEEK" she is on my regular read list and we exchange information. I was not aware of her daily contact with you guys, that makes her top notch in my book.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, my friends.

I'm speechless... that doesn't happen very often.